St Lawrence Church, Sandhurst
Churchwardens: Jim Brown 01452 731900 Carolyn Wright 01452 731450
Church postcode: GL2 9NP
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Church is now open again, following the full lockdown, for individual private prayer on Saturday morning each week, from 10 am to noon. The PCC have prepared a risk assessment to follow pre-opening and each time the church is open. Lone workers in the church follow guidelines set out by Ecclesiastical Insurance Group.
The church, which is kept open all day, is dedicated to St. Lawrence. In the earliest days it belonged to St. Oswold’s Priory in Gloucester, from which a chaplain was sent out to minister to the people. The present building is partly 14th century, but was mainly rebuilt in 1858. The belfry holds a ring of 8 bells. A team regularly ring for the main services, and also for special occasions. In 1996 a churchyard survey was carried out, when all memorials and their inscriptions were recorded, a copy of this is in the church and a map and index of names are on the back of the notice board in the car park. This was updated in 2017 and a complete index of names is kept in the church.
There is a committed and adaptable congregation with strong community links. Enthusiastic lay leaders help to run services and following installation of a kitchenette at the back of the church refreshments are served after most morning services.
What do we have planned for 2020 –
- The restored handbells are being used regularly: if you’d like to join our group of ringers talk to a churchwarden to find out next meeting date – no experience needed
- Regular film nights continue – showing films such as Victoria and Abdul, Edie, Fisherman’s Friends – film night 9th March The Intern. The next film night will be advertised when available.
- St George’s Day Supper – 25th April. CANCELLED
- working with Church Commissioners re repairs identified in last Quinquennial inspection
- making permanent changes to rear of nave area in the church
- Harvest Supper
- Games Nights in Sandhurst Village Hall (February & June)
The PCC work closely with the Village Hall Committee who run a wonderful village hall right opposite the church. Find out more at: www.sandhurstvillagehall.co.uk