St Lawrence Church, Sandhurst
Churchwardens: Jim Brown 01452 731900 Carolyn Wright 01452 731450
Church postcode: GL2 9NP
Contact email: email@example.com
The Church will be open for Private Prayer every Saturday from 10 am – 4 pm.
The church, which is kept open all day, is dedicated to St. Lawrence. In the earliest days it belonged to St. Oswold’s Priory in Gloucester, from which a chaplain was sent out to minister to the people. The present building is partly 14th century, but was mainly rebuilt in 1858. The belfry holds a ring of 8 bells. A team regularly ring for the main services, and also for special occasions. In 1996 a churchyard survey was carried out, when all memorials and their inscriptions were recorded, a copy of this is in the church and a map and index of names are on the back of the notice board in the car park. This was updated in 2017 and a complete index of names is kept in the church.
There is a committed and adaptable congregation with strong community links. Enthusiastic lay leaders help to run services and following installation of a kitchenette at the back of the church refreshments are served after most morning services.
What do we have planned for 2020 –
- The restored handbells are being used regularly: if you’d like to join our group of ringers talk to a churchwarden to find out next meeting date – no experience needed
- Regular film nights – showing films such as Victoria and Abdul, Edie, Fisherman’s Friends. The next film night will be advertised when restrictions are lifted.
- St George’s Day Supper – 25th April. CANCELLED
- working with Church Commissioners re repairs identified in last Quinquennial inspection
- making permanent changes to rear of nave area in the church
- Harvest Supper – cancelled
- Games Nights in Sandhurst Village Hall (February & June)
The PCC work closely with the Village Hall Committee who run a wonderful village hall right opposite the church. Find out more at: www.sandhurstvillagehall.co.uk