Jim Brown 01452 731900
Carolyn Wright 01452 731450
The church, which is kept open all day, is dedicated to St. Lawrence. In the earliest days it belonged to St. Oswold’s Priory in Gloucester, from which a chaplain was sent out to minister to the people. The present building is partly 14th century, but was mainly rebuilt in 1858. The belfry holds a ring of 8 bells. A team regularly ring for the main services, and also for special occasions. In 1996 a churchyard survey was carried out, when all memorials and their inscriptions were recorded, a copy of this is in the church and a map and index of names are on the back of the notice board in the car park. This was updated in 2017 and a complete index of names is kept in the church.
There is a committed and adaptable congregation with strong community links. Enthusiastic lay leaders help to run services and following installation of a kitchenette at the back of the church refreshments are served after most morning services.
2018 promises to be a busy year – just some of the events/activities are:
- The set of 33 handbells have been restored and look magnificent
- Regular film nights continue – showing films such as Shadowlands, Victoria and Abdul, Queen of Katwe – next film night 20th September
- Plant Sale on 28th April
- Barn Dance on June 23rd
- Flower festival for which the theme is ‘Strictly Music and Dance‘ from June 29th- July 1st (See pictures by clicking underlined words above)
- Quinquennial inspection in August
- Refurbishment of the vestry
- Village Fete – Bank Holiday Monday 27th August from 2 pm on the Cricket field
- Harvest Supper October 6th
The PCC work closely with the Village Hall Committee who run a wonderful village hall right opposite the church. Find out more at:www.sandhurstvillagehall.co.uk