During the Season of Lent, Rev Philippa is offering us a daily Bible verse or two and a small action for each of us to do.
- February 17th: Verse: Romans 10 v 13 “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Action: Phone someone – someone who you chat to regularly, or someone you haven’t spoken to for a long time, and make a point of listening to want they want to talk about – give them your full attention.
- February 18th: Verse: John 20 v 18, Mary Magdalene went and told the disciples “I have seen the Lord!” Action: Today, either plant some seeds ( or make a plan to plant some seeds) of flowers, veg or anything else- they all help our bees
- February 19th: Verse: Matthew 4 v 20: Jesus said “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to be fishers of men!’ And they left their nets at once and followed him.” Action: Look for signs of hope, in your garden or on a walk today (if it stops raining! )
- February 20th: Verse: John 1 v 45 and 46. Philip found Nathaniel and said to him ” We have found him about whom Moses in the law, and the prophets wrote ‘Jesus of Nazareth. … come and see!’ Action: Rediscover a hobby – anything you used to do but haven’t done for a while.
- February 22nd: Verse: Matthew chapter 13 verse 35. Jesus said ‘ I will open my mouth and tell stories;
I will bring out into the open things hidden since the world’s first day. ‘ Action: Send a card or letter to someone who might need encouragement.
- February 23rd: Verse: Luke chapter 14 verse 14. A man sent out invitations to a great feast, and told his servant to tell the guests ‘Come, the banquet is ready.’ Action: Bake something (if you’re a seasoned baker, try something completely new).
- February 24th: Verse: Luke chapter 15, verse 7 “..there is more joy in heaven over one lost person who turns to God than over ninety-nine good people who haven’t got lost’ Action: Pray for someone you know, in your friends or family, who you feel is lost, that they might turn to God.
- February 25th: Verse: Luke 15, verse 9 “Rejoice with me, because I have found my lost coin!’ Let’s rejoice for those we know who have found faith in Jesus. Action: Instead of buying something new online, can you repair an old one, or buy second hand?
- February 26th: Verse: Luke 15 verse 2p. ‘And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming, . Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him. Action: Listen to some birdsong. If you can’t hear birdsong, what can you hear ?
- February 27th: Verse: 2 Corinthians chapter 2 verse 15 .’ And he (Jesus) died for all, those those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him, who died for them and was raised again.’ Action: Take time to prepare and eat a meal that makes you feel good
- March 1st: Verse: Mark chapter 5 verse 19. Jesus said (to a man he had just healed) ‘Go home, to your family and friends and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been.’ Action: check in with your extended family – is there anyone you have lost touch with ?
- March 2nd: Verse: Acts chapter 4 verse 20. Peter and John said ” ..we cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Action: Write a poem, letter or story about something GOOD from the last year.
- March 3rd: Verse: John chapter 4 verse 42. “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.” Many Samaritans from the town believed in Jesus because of the woman at the well’s testimony. Action: Put some crumbs out for the birds – they get hungry in the winter months.
- March 4th: Verse: Acts chapter 17 verse 27. God’s purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way towards him – though he is not far from any one of us. Action: Decide on one type of single-use plastic you can stop using.